Founded in 1982 under the name Health Southeast, Inc., Vizient Southern States was started to support the efforts of not-for-profit hospitals to provide a broad spectrum of health services, to achieve efficient and cost-effective operations and to be responsive to the needs of the communities they serve.
Vizient Southern States has continued to strengthen its offerings by delivering impactful solutions to help its members accelerate their performance. From ensuring a sustainable cost structure and executing strategies for market success, to reducing unnecessary clinical and operational variation while improving clinical outcomes, our purpose is to ensure our members’ success.
We will continue to evolve and provide educational and collaboration opportunities to share insights and gain knowledge from leading practice experts to help our members navigate the health care environment of tomorrow.
We exist to serve, and we are proud to do so.
Activ8 Health, LLC is formed by Phoenix Health Care Management Services, Inc.
Georgia Medical Resource Pool (GMRP) changes its name to Phoenix Workforce Solutions.
Vizient MidSouth and Vizient Gulf States combine to form Vizient Southern States.
VHA Georgia changes its name to Vizient MidSouth, and VHA Gulf States changes its name to Vizient Gulf States.
Georgia Medical Resource Pool (GMRP) opens an additional office in Macon, Georgia
Gulf States Purchasing Coalition, LLC (GSPC) is formed to serve as a purchasing coalition for the benefit of its patrons. It provides health care supply contracting and management services to reduce cost.
Gulf States Insurance Services, LLC (GSIS) is formed as a licensed insurance entity in Louisiana, Mississippi and Tennessee to provide collective purchasing power for life, disability and property insurance to members.
A second Member Shared Resource (MSR) is formed with four Mississippi hospitals.
Phoenix Committed Insurance Plan, LLC (PCIP) is formed.
The first VHA Member Shared Resource (MSR) is formed with four New Orleans area hospitals to reduce supply cost through standardization.
VHA Georgia restructures operations by creating Phoenix Health Care Management Services, Inc., which becomes an umbrella company for all of its revenue generating services (TPA, patient satisfaction, document imaging and a managed care network).
• VHA Gulf States expands its territory to include members in Tennessee and a staffed satellite office.
• A medical director is hired to help members with physician relations, education and improvement.
VHA Gulf States collaborates with the Catholic Health Association of Louisiana by hiring a director of governmental affairs to advocate for Catholic and not-for-profit care in Louisiana.
Mississippi Health Connection is formed as a statewide, community-based managed care network anchored by VHA members to compete for the State Employee Health Plan Contract. Closed in 2007.
• A Mississippi bid specialist is hired to assist Mississippi hospital members with public bids.
• A director of clinical services is hired to expand clinical offerings and accreditation services.
A physician referral program (doctor network) is established.
VHA Georgia implements a new strategic plan to become an extension of its member hospitals to equip them with data, information and other resources so they can be more competitive.
VHA Gulf States offers performance improvement services in an effort to support member organizations’ improvement efforts through education, peer meetings and benchmark data.
• VHA Gulf States hires one of the first nurses in VHA Inc. to help members write Robert Wood Johnson grants and to help them comply with accreditation standards.
• A managed care network director is hired.
• Georgia Medical Resource Pool, LLC (GMRP) is created to address the nursing shortage.
• VHA Georgia develops Georgia Alternative Delivery Systems (Georgia ADS) to provide advanced claims management and stop-loss financing for various hospitals.
• VHA Georgia Laundry Service and VHA Georgia Lithotripsy are established.
• Gulf States Collection Services is formed as a regional subsidiary to provide accounts receivable management services as the lowest cost provider to members. It is sold to HBCS in 2003.
• Health Southeast partners with Voluntary Hospitals of America (VHA) and becomes VHA Georgia, Inc.
• VHA Gulf States offers Mobile Lithotripsy services for ten members in Louisiana and Mississippi.
VHA Gulf States is formed and opens a regional office in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
HSI Financial Services, Inc., is incorporated as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Health Southeast, Inc.
Health Southeast, Inc. is formed by six Georgia community-based hospitals.
Vizient Southern States exists to consistently deliver expert guidance and solutions that drive exceptional performance through collaborative power for the members we serve.
Vizient Southern States will be the pre-eminent, indispensable organization of community-owned health care systems that collaborate to achieve industry leading performance.
The principles guiding services that our staff provides to our members are: Excellence, Results, Integrity, Service, Teamwork, and Innovation.
Through their deep expertise and commitment to care, Vizient Southern States' leaders are driving change in health care services.
President & CEO
Sr. VP & CFO
VP, Business Development & Operations
AVP, Performance Improvement